Questions About Freegal?
What is the Download Limit?
You are able to download five songs per week. Your download counter will reset to zero each Monday in the early-morning. Then you can download five more tunes during the new week.
How to Download
When you're ready to download a music track, click the "Download Now" link, select Save at the prompt, and designate where you want to save the song on your computer. Note: Anytime you click on the "Download now" link, even if you cancel the download, the download counts toward your weekly allotment.
Problems with Download
My song partially downloaded or only the first few seconds of my song plays...
- Once in a while, your Internet connection may be interrupted or time out and you might experience an incomplete or problem download. Freegal Music allows you to download previously downloaded songs again, without using up one of your weekly downloads.
- Songs you've had trouble downloading during the current week or previous week can be downloaded again.
- To re-download a song, log in to Freegal, and click on the Recent Downloads link located at the top of the page. Then, click the "Download Now" link for the song you had trouble downloading to save it again.
- You have two (2) download attempts for each song in the Recent Downloads page. If you re-download a song twice, the "Download Now" link will change to say "Limit Exceeded" and the song will be removed from your Recent Downloads page.
I log in to Freegal, accept the terms and conditions, and then I'm taken to the About Us page or given a notice that I'm not authorized to view the site.
- There may be a setting on your computer that is preventing you from logging in to Freegal Music. There are a couple things you could try that may enable you to get through.
- Try clearing your browser history and deleting your browser cookies. How to clear the browser cookies and history varies from browser to browser, but typically, you can do it by opening the browser, and clicking on the Tools menu. From there it might be under a "Delete browsing history" option (if you're are using Internet Explorer) or "Clear Recent History" (if you're using Firefox). From there, you should see options specific to browser history and cookies. If you are using Internet Explorer, you may also try putting your security settings back to default.
Internet Explorer setting
If you are using Internet Explorer 7 or 8, you may need to adjust how your browser treats temporary internet files. You can get to this option by following these steps:
- Open Internet Explorer
- Click on the Tool menu
- Select "Internet Options"
- In the General tab section, in the "Browsing history" area, click on the Settings button
- In the "Temporary Internet Files and History Settings" dialog box, select the option for "Every time I visit the webpage" (by default "Automatically" is selected)
- Click the OK button
- Click the Apply button
- Click OK
- Close Internet Explorer and then re-open it and try accessing Freegal Music again
It's possible there's a conflict with any antivirus or firewall settings you have on your computer. If you are comfortable with doing so, please try turning off your antivirus and/or firewall settings and try accessing Freegal again.
Using the "Logout" link
- This may also happen if another household member is not using the "Logout" link when done with the Freegal Music site (or if you are using Freegal Music on two different computers). Simply closing the browser does not clear a user's session from Freegal Music. To resolve this issue, try having the other person in the household use the "Logout" link in Freegal Music and then try accessing the site. You may need to clear your browser initially.
- If none of these suggestions work, please contact us, and we will work to find a solution for you.
I only downloaded two songs, but when I go to download the third song, I'm told I've exceeded my limit. What happened to my third download?
- It's possible you inadvertently clicked on the "Download Now" link to a third song and not realized it. Anytime you click on the "Download Now" link, even if you cancel the download, a download is used from your weekly allotment. If you're confident this isn't what happened, please send us your library card information and we'll troubleshoot the issue.